This book was a delight and a challenge to put together. I wanted to highlight the playing of six blues players that have greatly influenced me: Big Bill Broonzy, Lonnie Johnson, Rev. Gary Davis, Blind Blake, Scrapper Blackwell and Tampa Red. Each have recorded wonderful instrumental solos. I have transcribed these from the first note played to the last. These are complete transcriptions. Hopefully they will bring you insight into the playing ideas and techniques of these legendary players.
Titles and artists included are:
• BIG BILL BROONZY Slow Blues, St. Louis Blues
• SCRAPPER BLACKWELL A Blues, D Blues
• BLIND BLAKE Guitar Chimes, Blind Arthur's Breakdown
• REV. GARY DAVIS Bill Bailey, Walkin' Dog Blues
• LONNIE JOHNSON Blues for the West End, Blues in G, Woke Up With The Blues In My Fingers
• TAMPA RED Things 'Bout Coming My Way
HOW TO USE THIS BOOK
1) Listen over and over to the recordings available via download for this collection.
2) Get a program that can control audio files. Use this with the transcriptions and the recordings.
3) Be patient!! Practice and practice!! These are blues masterpieces and can take weeks or month or years to get under your fingers. But what fun it will be once you can play one of these instrumental.
Level 3 • 116 pages